Friday, July 9, 2010

Orientation

Forgive me for the delay. I haven't had time to write any of what's been going on down and post it. But I brought my laptop to work, so here is a rather lengthy update...

Our first night was pretty low-key. Everyone arrived and got settled, and was welcomed in with a delicious BBQ. We played hacky-sack and soccer with the neighborhood kids who were connected to the ministry. The BBQ was advertised as a free cook-out, so passer-bys would actually come to eat with us. There was actually another church group, who had been doing construction on the church, who joined us. Because they were there, we weren’t able to sleep in our actual rooms. But they were leaving the next day, so it wasn’t a big deal.

That next Friday was a long day. After breakfast, we moved into our permanent sleeping quarters and then met in the living room and shared our life stories. Yep, all 12 of us. Plus our 5 staff members. We were given a poster-board and colors to make a visual as well as give a 10-minute synopsis of our lives. It was such a cool experience. It took 6 hours, but it was so worth it. I loved hearing where everyone had come from. What really stuck out to me was that, despite our differences, we all shared a common thread: we loved Jesus, and we were trying to follow Him wherever He was leading us. Unfortunately, I don’t think I did a very good job at explaining myself. It’s hard for me to be completely authentic in a room full of strangers. I didn’t necessarily feel comfortable enough to be vulnerable to the extent that everyone else was. Oh well, I know I have 6 weeks to get to know these people. I loved hearing everyone else’s story, though. In between all of this, we ordered subway for lunch and ate some amazing catered Italian food.

Saturday was fun. We split into teams and explored the neighborhood via photo-scavenger hunt. It was very telling of the nature of our setting. I’m starting to realize that the institutions and services available in a community reflected the socio-economic statuses present in the residents. Everything is all very close together in the South Bronx. You could walk a couple blocks and find everything you’d ever need. There are liquor and grocery stores, as well as Laundromats and pharmacies on pretty much every corner. Most things are discounted, and there are quite a few 99-cent stores. Many places sold trendy belts and sunglasses outside of their doors as well as prepaid phones. I noticed quite a few check cashing stations with wiring services to Latin America, but very few banks. There are a lot of small churches, as well as mosques and at least one psychic who reads palms. We discussed the meaning of all this later at the house. Basically, everything we found was representative of a low-income, predominately Latino neighborhood. It was interesting the learn the double meaning of some things. For example, prepaid cell phones were not only indicative of a lack of money, but indicative of a presence of drug dealers, who use multiple phones to avoid being tracked by the police. Learn something new every day.

After this day of investigation, a lot of my anxieties about the South Bronx had been put to rest. I can’t really explain why. There are still drug dealers. There are still gangsters. But I guess I know my way around a little better now. For some reason, that puts me at ease.

On the 4th of July, we had yet another BBQ, but this time at Jonathon’s house in Washington Heights. Some of his Columbia Alum friends came over, as well as former NYCUP interns from past summers. It was chill. We played cards and ate lots and lots of hot dogs. Overall, pretty mellow, for a 4th of July party…but I think everyone was lethargic from the heat. Ever since I had first arrived, it had been steadily getting hotter and more humid by the day. As you read this, I’m probably still drenched in sweat.

Earlier that day, we attended our first church service. For the duration of my time here in New York, I will be attending a squatting church service held in a care center for the terminally ill. We all worshipped with AIDS and cancer patients, who were literally on their deathbeds. I was so challenged by their faith. All of them were in pain, and didn’t even know if they’d see tomorrow, but they sung at the top of their lungs with an indelible joy and hope I had never seen. I cried the entire time. I wanted a faith like that. I wanted a faith that was strong enough to face anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment